08 March, 2011

Nomura just gave us a nice pressie for Woman's Day! Happy!

Nomura appointed its first female CFO, and appropriately announced it today -- good marketing on their part.

I wonder how much change is going on in that company... and in other investment houses... maybe there's hope! Silly moi, of course there is.

BUT IN OTHER NEWS:

I saw the notification while watching a really interesting interview between Max Mosley and Sarah Montague on the Beeb: Mosley is pushing for more regulation of the British press in Strassbourg, and the interview is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9414659.stm There is a long story behind it that I hadn't heard about, but it brought up a really good discussion about all kinds of things we should be talking about more with regards to freedom of the press.

He has a point, but then again, libel laws in the UK are already really strict, so muzzling them more might not be a good idea, as Daniel Johnson pointed out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9357000/9357333.stm

This debate makes me think about my own life, and how I would behave if I had responsibilities as great as Mosley had. I agree with him that in secular society, consenting mature adults should be allowed to do pretty much what they want -- I'm a bit of a libertarian in that way too, which is perhaps why I fit in so well in Holland. And I hate the behaviour of the press, the way they behave like a bunch of attack dogs. But that is their job as the fifth estate or whatever -- society needs a kind of watchdog like that, I think.

If you are a public figure and lead a double life like that, and if you're not prepared to pay the consequences of exposure, then you're a bit of a fool. You can't then go and try to change the laws because society has rejected you for what you've done. If you can't handle rejection from society, then don't do things that would cause rejection. This is a fine line, I know, but integrity is reflected in other aspects of life, no matter how hard we try to partition our brains and separate work life and personal life.

It's making me think what it means to be a true leader of people, and how much integrity you have to have in ALL aspects of your life. I'm a bit kinky too and I've had my share of crazy experiences, but I've never had any real responsibilities yet either because I know I wasn't ready for having them. I don't want to stop having fun in my life just because I want to start a career, but I don't think I'd ever do anything that I wouldn't want to become public. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with my lifestyle or views or whatever, but I've become pretty much used to people looking down their noses at me -- they usually turn around and end up looking up to me in the end, anyways, so it doesn't matter and I don't really care about what those kind of people think anyways.

So Max, I'm really sorry but I think you're potentially doing the British people a disservice, because the law that you want to make -- though it would bring justice to some -- could potentially be very badly abused by many in power. I know it would make you feel better, and I'm really sorry for what happened to you -- that WAS unjust, and in a perfect world, people would have been able to accept your kinky sexy self (listening to your interview, I thought you are one of the smartest, hottest old dudes I've ever seen) and you would have gone on doing your job as well as you have been in the past. But you really shouldn't try to seek closure and some sort of vindication, though you are successfully subliminating it into a more noble cause, that is campaigning to change a law that you see is unjust, which is highly admirable and merits much commendation. You are a good man, Max, and those who know you know that. Don't worry about what all the stupid, small little monkeys think of you. It's a shame that they do, but it doesn't matter. I'm saying this in a mean way, but I think you would get much more relief and happiness by talking to a good psychologist, not campaigning legally.

Please stop.

No comments: